Monday, June 13, 2011

Being the Person You Want to Be

Yesterday was our school's awards day. I got a certificate for being on the Dean's list in Spring semester last year. That was the start of me being the person that I want to be.

One of my favorite profs and I (he wears a bow tie!)
I'll admit though, I wasn't into academics before. In my last years of high school, I'd procrastinate a lot. I'd never do homework, I'd always skip school, and I'd never pay attention in class. And I played a crap ton of computer games at home. In my senior year I did manage to attend school more, but that was only for the social part of it because I finally had a large group of friends, and we were all very close. They were very driven, and would study a lot and talk about classes. I never really had friends like this, so seeing other people work so hard made me feel like the odd one out. Exams rolled around and I hadn't even studied for them.

When results came out after the summer, it turned out I had failed English lit and gotten more C's than I should have. I could no longer qualify to go to the school that I wanted to attend for university. I messed up my own chances due to my lack of motivation and self-respect. I spent the next three months bumming around at home, doing nothing expect for wallowing in self-hate and playing computer games.

And then one day, my mom came home and announced that she had enrolled me in studying Advertising at her university. I hated the idea. I hated it so much. I desperately wanted to get out once I started school. My peers in Advertising were awful, all they ever did was make fun of me and say things like "You need friends", "you need to wear more makeup", "you need to get a tan." None of them really cared about Advertising and were there because they "couldn't think of another major". I felt myself slipping back to my high school ways because I started to stop caring, and that horrified me.

I began to really work my ass off. I cut down the amount of parties I threw, I held back on some weekends with friends, and I stopped using MSN. I could concentrate a lot more, and I started seeing my professors in their office hours frequently. I got over my self-consciousness and began answering and asking questions in class. I'd take any chance for extra-credit and I'd throw in extra work even if it wasn't required. This got me on really great standing with my professors, and with myself.

When grades came out at the end of the semester, I was incredibly happy because I did better than I thought I would, and I was the first kid in my family to get on the Dean's list.
This is when I realized that you don't actually have to be smart, you don't need to have always done well in academics. Hell, I even repeated fifth grade. You just have to genuinely care and try really hard, put tons and tons of effort in, and I guarantee you, you WILL see results. Good ones hopefully at least, hahah.

Anyways, thought I'd make a post on that. This post is quite student-orientated to me, but I think that it applies to anything you want to aim for, not only grades and school.
I was talking to one of my professors the other day, and I said something that he told me to write down immediately. This is also what kinda got me to thinking about making the blog in the first place.

"If I never push myself or never stop procrastinating, I'll never be the person that I want to be."

-Deena

1 comments:

Unknown said...

You are so inspiring Deeeeenapie! I love this!

Post a Comment